[KPhotoAlbum] IPTC-Export: Only printable ASCII-Chars in IPTC fields ?

Jan Kundrát jkt at gentoo.org
Fri Oct 12 10:40:03 BST 2007

Martin Jost wrote:
> I just played around in digikam.
> This can show and edit IPTC fields.
> There is a (bold) note on those dialog, saying: "Only printable ASCII
> chars allowed in IPTC fields"

They are wrong. I don't use digikam, but they had a thread [1] on their
ML where they apparently decided to add a switch to choose which
encoding to use here. Perhaps you have an outdated version of digikam or
they just haven't released the new version yet.

> If this is correct, how is this handled for the IPTC export in KPA ?

In the same was as done in import -- in the Settings dialog, page Exif,
you see a combobox called "Character set for IPTC data" which chooses
what character set to use for both reading and writing. The options are
rather limited now because Qt3 doesn't offer any way to get a list of
supported encodings, this has been added to Qt4 :(.

I should add the Iptc.Envelope.CharacterSet header to store this
encoding to files (and use it when reading).

There is also a way to indicate encoding in each metadata field which we
don't support yet.

[1] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/digikam-devel/2007-February/010404.html