[KPhotoAlbum] Very experimental image-grouping patch

Paul Fleischer paul at xpg.dk
Wed Nov 28 12:47:39 GMT 2007

2007/11/28, Robert Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu>:
>    Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:08:34 +0100
>    From: "Paul Fleischer" <paul at xpg.dk>
>
>    > I haven't checked the code thouroughly yet, but it seems to me that we can
>    > generate this mapping after having parsed the XML file. I have nothing
>    > against having memory structures a "bi-directional list", but I'd like to
>    > avoid it in the XML db.
>
>    I understand. Only disadvantage by doing it after having parsed the
>    XML file, is that it requires running through all images again, to
>    establish the parent/child relation. But I guess, that this doesn't
>    really matter.
>
> We should make sure that this doesn't have performance implications on
> large databases (20,000~50,000 images).

True. Something tells me that the only way to avoid running through
every image twice (one for loading, and one for reparenting), is to
build a list of children while loading the images. Then only those
images would be processes twice.
On the other hand, running through 50,000 images in-memory might not
take very long.

Anyone has comments on this?

/Paul