[KPhotoAlbum] Five popups on the first run - too much!

Martin Jost lists at majo.name
Tue May 15 08:19:42 BST 2007

Risto H. Kurppa schrieb:

Hello Risto,

I agree with most of your observations and suggestions. I like
especially the idea of talking about the reasons for the features.
I have two additions:
> Then it could suggest to try the demo database before indexing user
> photos. It could also suggest having a look at some 'quick help' to
> get more information, possibly some kind of walk-through guide that
> would show the user what's the thing with KPA. "close & rerun to get
> this same dialog to index your files or select something from this ->
> that menu". The idea is to make the user try & create something, not
> only sit & watch someone do it in the video.

Yes surely there should be some sort of "invitation" to play with KPA.
But I myself liked the videos, especially the first one. It very clearly
shows in less than 5 minutes what's the main "selling point" of KPA I
was impressed by the simplicity and power of the search interface, when
I first saw it here. And you also don't have to read the help, to play
with the demo later on.
But this surely depends on the type of person, just starting to use KPA.
I imagine, there are people who prefer to just start with the demo. So
it should be possible to choose what to begin with.

While having another look at the first video I also found, that there
seems to be no direct way to get to them later on, e.g. a help menu entry.
> The survey popup could possibly use more or less the same window
> interface so the user wouldn't feel uncomfortable filling it.

This shouldn't come up on first try, because I think it is pointless at
that moment. To give reasonable answers I need to have some experience
using KPA. So this should come up only after some usage.

Martin