[KPhotoAlbum] Fwd: Re: Checking image file readability by MIME type, rather than file name

Shawn Willden shawn-kimdaba at willden.org
Fri May 11 14:08:25 BST 2007

On Friday 11 May 2007 05:41:01 am Martin Hoeller wrote:
> I see. I thought of them as beeing excluded via the ignore-list in the xml
> file.
>
> However, if this "specific exclude list" remains, it will/should always
> exclude the files and never look into them, right?

This was my thought as well.  I didn't know something like ignore-list already
existed (how does it work?), but it seems like it should be there.  When KPA
looks for new files and finds files that are not types it can handle, it
seems to me that it should add them to a list of files to ignore and
thereafter should never examine them again.

That, however, raises the possibility of a situation where a formerly-ignored
file is replaced with a new file that is a valid image or video that KPA can
handle.  So either the ignore list also has to store ctimes and the new image
scanner has to check them when deciding to ignore the file, or there needs to
be an option in the GUI that allows the ignore list to be cleared.

I think with the addition of something like this, the MIME type scanning
wouldn't be a performance problem, since a given file would only be checked
once.  That said, I don't think the complexity of automatically building and
maintaining the ignore list is justified by the value of the feature.
Whether or not you like filename extensions, they're a fact of life
everywhere, not just with KPA.

	Shawn.