[KPhotoAlbum] Fwd: Re: Checking image file readability by MIME type, rather than file name

Martin Hoeller martin at xss.co.at
Fri May 11 12:41:01 BST 2007

Sorry, forgot the list...

Subject: Re: [KPhotoAlbum] Checking image file readability by MIME type,
rather than file name
Date: Freitag, 11. Mai 2007 13:30
From: Martin Hoeller <martin at xss.co.at>
To: Robert L Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu>

Am Freitag, 11. Mai 2007 13:12 schrieben Sie:
>    From: Martin Hoeller <martin at xss.co.at>
>    Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 08:22:34 +0200
>
>    On Friday, 11. Mai 2007 00:51 Robert L Krawitz wrote:
>    > I vote against this patch, on performance grounds.  Example: the
>    > Canon Digital Rebel produces thumbnail files (.thm, which are JPEGs)
>    > for each raw image.  As written, every time you scan for new images,
>    > it will have to check each of these files.  At present, it skips
>    > them because the .thm suffix isn't known.
>
>    As Shawn pointed out, this potential expensive operation would not
>    happen=20 too often, just like calculating hash sums. So on
>    checking for new files,=20 only new files (not in KPA's DB) would
>    be checked.
>
> The problem here is that the .thm files should never be added to the
> database to begin with.  Since they'll never be added (the current RAW
> import code specifically excludes them), they'll be checked each time
> you scan for new images.

I see. I thought of them as beeing excluded via the ignore-list in the xml
file.

However, if this "specific exclude list" remains, it will/should always
exclude the files and never look into them, right?

regards,
- martin
Martin Höller                   | martin.hoeller at xss.co.at
*x Software + Systeme           | http://www.xss.co.at/
Karmarschgasse 51/2/20          | Tel: +43-1-6060114-30
A-1100 Vienna, Austria          | Fax: +43-1-6060114-71