[KPhotoAlbum] Patch to speed up scanning for new images

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Fri May 11 12:14:43 BST 2007

   Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 10:41:42 +0200
   From: "Henner Zeller" <h.zeller at acm.org>

   In general, I like the patch as unnecessary stat()s make things
   very slow (especially on NFS/SMB or external USB drives .. which is
   a typical place for photo libraries).

   Using readdir_r/readdir in this way seems fine to me, but please
   add a comment saying that this is done similarly qdir_unix.cpp
   which probably makes discussion about this topic not as lengthy. Of
   course, there might be improvements (esp. I wouldn't allocate this
   on the stack).

OK.

   Regarding the naming, I would probably name this FastDir or
   something .. MyDir is not really a useful name. And add
   documentation saying what it does (its fast by not doing
   stat()). In general, add a little comment to all methods (the
   current style of not having comments is doesn't mean that it should
   be followed ;-) )

Fine.

   Style wise I'd suggest to make the MyDir::path_ const, as it is
   only set once in the constructor.  I would not make entryList()
   (and hence, the destructor) virtual, since this class is not
   overridden anyway. The destructor can go away completely in this
   case.

OK.

   As a friend of simplicity, I would suggest not to add a default
   constructor, since it is not used anyway; but as the behaviour of
   the current default constructor is very reasonable (take the
   current directory) it seems fine to me (but comment it).

OK.

   Don't forget to remove the SurveyDialog-quietening 'return;' ;-)
   (nice try)

Sorry, that one slipped in there (I got fed up with that survey ages
ago and did that in my copy).