[KPhotoAlbum] Checking image file readability by MIME type, rather than file name

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Fri May 11 12:12:08 BST 2007

   From: Martin Hoeller <martin at xss.co.at>
   Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 08:22:34 +0200

   On Friday, 11. Mai 2007 00:51 Robert L Krawitz wrote:

   > I vote against this patch, on performance grounds.  Example: the Canon
   > Digital Rebel produces thumbnail files (.thm, which are JPEGs) for
   > each raw image.  As written, every time you scan for new images, it
   > will have to check each of these files.  At present, it skips them
   > because the .thm suffix isn't known.

   As Shawn pointed out, this potential expensive operation would not
   happen=20 too often, just like calculating hash sums. So on
   checking for new files,=20 only new files (not in KPA's DB) would
   be checked.

The problem here is that the .thm files should never be added to the
database to begin with.  Since they'll never be added (the current RAW
import code specifically excludes them), they'll be checked each time
you scan for new images.

   > (For that matter, there's another problem with this -- it will read
   > the .thm files, see that they're actually JPEGs, and import them.
   > That's likely to be undesirable in its own right.)

   I'd say this is another topic: the file exclusion problem, which is
   still=20 not resolved :(