[KPhotoAlbum] Checking image file readability by MIME type, rather than file name

Martin Hoeller martin at xss.co.at
Fri May 11 07:22:34 BST 2007

Hi!

On Friday, 11. Mai 2007 00:51 Robert L Krawitz wrote:

> I vote against this patch, on performance grounds.  Example: the Canon
> Digital Rebel produces thumbnail files (.thm, which are JPEGs) for
> each raw image.  As written, every time you scan for new images, it
> will have to check each of these files.  At present, it skips them
> because the .thm suffix isn't known.

As Shawn pointed out, this potential expensive operation would not happen
too often, just like calculating hash sums. So on checking for new files,
only new files (not in KPA's DB) would be checked.

However, I can see your objections. Maybe we could make it configurable? (I
know, another configurable option which isn't really required)

> (For that matter, there's another problem with this -- it will read
> the .thm files, see that they're actually JPEGs, and import them.
> That's likely to be undesirable in its own right.)

I'd say this is another topic: the file exclusion problem, which is still
not resolved :(

just my 2¢,
- martin
Martin Höller                   | martin.hoeller at xss.co.at
*x Software + Systeme           | http://www.xss.co.at/
Karmarschgasse 51/2/20          | Tel: +43-1-6060114-30
A-1100 Vienna, Austria          | Fax: +43-1-6060114-71