[KPhotoAlbum] Checking image file readability by MIME type, rather than file name

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Thu May 10 18:39:29 BST 2007

I wonder if KImageIO::typeForMime is expensive - afterall it needs to read
some of the file.

A solution might be to do something like:
return KImageIO::canRead(KImageIO::type(fileName)) ||
KImageIO::canRead(KImageIO::typeForMime(KImageIO::mimeType( fileName )))  ||
ImageManager::ImageDecoder::mightDecode( fileName );

Thus first checking using the file name, and if that fails trying using the
(presumeably) more expensive one.

On Thursday 10 May 2007, Shawn Willden wrote:
| Bug 136955 has a patch attached that seems like a good idea to me.  Can
| anyone think why it wouldn't?  Personally, I think it's a bad idea to have
| misnamed files, but if it's possible to handle it gracefully, why not do
| it?
|
| Here's the text of the bug report:
|
| files named pict000.jpg or Akademy2005.png etc. are imported correctly,
| even if they are wrongly named and in reality both image/tiff, but
| Sol-2002.01.04 or Judy.image are not (both image/png).
|
| And the patch is at:
|
| http://bugs.kde.org/attachment.cgi?id=18505&action=view
|
| 	Shawn.

thousands of images?