[KPhotoAlbum] Can't get exif info for CR2 on Ubuntu

Martin Jost lists at majo.name
Tue May 8 22:49:25 BST 2007

Shawn Willden schrieb:
> On Tuesday 08 May 2007 02:44:26 pm Lars Clausen wrote:
>
> Trying to compile exiv2 from
> source... the exiv2 program now works... the strange warning is gone...
> but config.h wasn't changed and it didn't pick up on the new libexiv2
> (neither according to its behaviour nor according to ldd).  pkg-config
> does pick up the new libexiv2, but even after doing make clean, I can't
> get KPA to use it.  Trying with LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib... that did the
> trick, and KPA now can see EXIF!  Yay!
>

> No, it shouldn't -- very strange.  Glad you got it to work.  Have you
> submitted a bug report to Ubuntu?  If not, could you please?  It's very
> unfortunate if such an important feature of KPA doesn't work out of the box
> on a popular distro like Ubuntu.

Let me guess...
The exiv2 coming with Ubuntu is probably installed under /usr (not
/usr/local) and somehow broken.
Compiling exiv2 without any configure flags (especially without
--prefix) will install exiv2 in /usr/local

Configuring KPA once again still picks up the broken version below /usr.
(Instead of /usr/local)

Adding LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib... will (probably) make KPA link against the one under /usr/local.
(I would strongly advise to also set CPPFLAGS to /usr/include, so consistent include-files are picked)

So: what is to do about it ?

Just my 10 cent

Martin