[KPhotoAlbum] Can't get exif info for CR2 on Ubuntu

Lars Clausen lars at raeder.dk
Tue May 8 21:44:26 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 07:38 +0200, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
> Did you compile KPA yourself? If not, then it might simply be that kphotoalbum
> for ubuntu was compiled without exiv2 support, and if so, then it doesn't
> change anything that the package is there.
>
> If you compiled it yourself, did it complain about anything during the
> configure step?
>
> Another thing you may look for is what the help->kphotoalbum features says.

checking whether support for EXIV2 should be compiled in... yes
checking exiv2/exif.hpp usability... no
checking exiv2/exif.hpp presence... yes
configure: WARNING: exiv2/exif.hpp: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: exiv2/exif.hpp:     check for missing prerequisite
headers?
configure: WARNING: exiv2/exif.hpp: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: exiv2/exif.hpp:     section "Present But Cannot Be
Compiled"configure: WARNING: exiv2/exif.hpp: proceeding with the
preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: exiv2/exif.hpp: in the future, the compiler will
take precedence
checking for exiv2/exif.hpp... yes

KPA does compile without error, and the config.h file has HASEXIV2  set
to 1.

When I run the exiv2 command in a shell, I get

Exiv2 exception in print action for
file /home/larsrc/Photos/Originals/2007-05-04/IMG_8640.CR2:
/home/larsrc/Photos/Originals/2007-05-04/IMG_8640.CR2: The file contains
data of an unknown image type

Could it be that the exiv2 library for some reason in Ubuntu has been
compiled without CR2 support?  Any other Ubuntu users on the list?

The KPA Features list claims to have exif support, which throws even
more shadow on the Ubuntu packaging.  Trying to compile exiv2 from
source... the exiv2 program now works... the strange warning is gone...
but config.h wasn't changed and it didn't pick up on the new libexiv2
(neither according to its behaviour nor according to ldd).  pkg-config
does pick up the new libexiv2, but even after doing make clean, I can't
get KPA to use it.  Trying with LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib... that did the
trick, and KPA now can see EXIF!  Yay!  Shouldn't be necessary to use
LDFLAGS, though... The thumbnails got regenerated rather randomly, but
forcing them all to regenerate helped.  Now hopefully my pictures can be
in correct order:)

-Lars