[KPhotoAlbum] read-only web interface

Jan Kundrát jkt at gentoo.org
Mon Mar 26 14:57:29 BST 2007

Hi folks,
as the DjKPA [1] is no longer available for download and the online demo
[2] seems rather limited, I've decided to write a web interface for
accessing KPhotoAlbum database.

I'm not interested in having photo rankings, user comments, changing
tags/keywords/whatever now, I'd just like to show a nice interface to my
friends. It shoud allow as flexible queries as the KPA itself does (and
even more flexible where possible :) ), but no modifications at all.

Questions:

a) What do you think about format of the URLs?

b) What is the best way to express stuff like "show me all pics from
2001-2004 where I can see Peter with either Alice or Bob, taken by Adam"
in URLs?

c) How should the generated web page for specifying b) look like?

d) I use a traditional convention where a first level of directory
structure represents event where the pictures were taken, so when I want
my friends to see stuff from Anna's birthday party, I'd likely point
them to http://exmaple.org/photoalbum/dir/2007-03-26+Anna's+birthday.
Problem comes when those names contain non-ASCII characters. Are those
safe in the path component of the URL? Is there any better option about
how to specify this kind of "event"?

Technical stuff -- I like Python and XSLT, I want to write code once and
do templates later, I don't like SQL much but can use it when it's
apropriate, I use Apache. It's likely that it will be written in Python
& mod_python, templates will be in XSLT (mod_transform) for XHTML
generation and it will be necessary to run a script to generate an
sqlite db from the KPA's XML file.

Any ideas and/or comments are welcome,
-jkt

[1] http://d200.vmrt.homelinux.com/download/djKPA-0.9.tgz