[KPhotoAlbum] Patch: file types as subcategories of media type

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jan 2 13:12:03 GMT 2007

   From: Michael J Gruber <michaeljgruber+gmane+kimdaba at fastmail.fm>
   Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 13:32:20 +0100

   Robert L Krawitz venit, vidit, dixit 2007-01-02 12:44:
   > From: Michael J Gruber
   > <michaeljgruber+gmane+kimdaba at fastmail.fm>
   >  Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 11:54:39 +0100
   > - As implemented, the file type is the last 3 letters of the file
   > name, converted to lower case. This is consistent with what KPA does
   > in other places and works with all files coming from 8+3 FAT file
   > systems (such as from a camera). It doesn't cover file endings like
   > "jpeg", "mpeg" or "tiff", but that's an easy fix if desired.
   >
   > I think this should be done -- it's simply a matter of looking for
   > the rightmost `.'.  Another question is case sensitivity -- should
   > this be case sensitive or not?  I'd say probably not (as you've done
   > here).

   There are file types like ".xcf.bz2" also; that's why I didn't do the
   right search for "." right away. But I guess those are way less common.

I don't think KPhotoAlbum handles these anyway, and they're really
.xcf files that happen to be compressed.

   > This is much better than "ignore raw files" -- depending upon what
   > I'm doing, sometimes I'd like to use the RAW images and sometimes I'd
   > like to use the JPEGs.  It's not going to be very practical to use
   > this on large collections of images until subcategories are sped up,
   > though.

   I guess my collection isn't large enough ;)
   Seriously: Is it the initial loading/creation of the DB info which is
   slow, or the browsing by subcategory?

Browsing by subcategory.

There's another issue: suppose I have a collection of images some of
which are shot RAW and some of which are JPEG (perhaps I ran low on
space and backed off to JPEG).  I'd like to select the RAW files where
available and otherwise the JPEG's.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton