[KPhotoAlbum] Patch: file types as subcategories of media type

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+gmane+kimdaba at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 2 12:32:20 GMT 2007

Robert L Krawitz venit, vidit, dixit 2007-01-02 12:44:
> From: Michael J Gruber
> <michaeljgruber+gmane+kimdaba at fastmail.fm>
>  Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 11:54:39 +0100
> - As implemented, the file type is the last 3 letters of the file
> name, converted to lower case. This is consistent with what KPA does
> in other places and works with all files coming from 8+3 FAT file
> systems (such as from a camera). It doesn't cover file endings like
> "jpeg", "mpeg" or "tiff", but that's an easy fix if desired.
>
> I think this should be done -- it's simply a matter of looking for
> the rightmost `.'.  Another question is case sensitivity -- should
> this be case sensitive or not?  I'd say probably not (as you've done
> here).

There are file types like ".xcf.bz2" also; that's why I didn't do the
right search for "." right away. But I guess those are way less common.

> This is much better than "ignore raw files" -- depending upon what
> I'm doing, sometimes I'd like to use the RAW images and sometimes I'd
> like to use the JPEGs.  It's not going to be very practical to use
> this on large collections of images until subcategories are sped up,
> though.

I guess my collection isn't large enough ;)
Seriously: Is it the initial loading/creation of the DB info which is
slow, or the browsing by subcategory?

Michael