[KPhotoAlbum] Patch: rotation of raw thumbnails

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+gmane at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 23 16:42:24 GMT 2007

Risto H. Kurppa venit, vidit, dixit 2007-02-21 12:05:
> Hi!
>
> Good news about rotation!
>
> About resolution: My KPA shows me a really low res preview of the NEF
> and as far as I know, NEF includes some kind of low resolution
> thumbnail.
>
> I noticed that 'exiv2 -Pxgnycsh DSC_8439.NEF ' (version 0.10)
> prints me a lot of stuff, including this:
>
> 0x0099 Nikon3       NEFThumbnailSize            Short       2   4
>   0000  f0 05 f0 03
>
> exiftool print includes these lines:
> Jpg From Raw Start              : 131072
> Jpg From Raw Length             : 713898
> Jpg From Raw                    : (Binary data 713898 bytes, use -b
> option to extract)
> Preview Image                   : (Binary data 25390 bytes, use -b
> option to extract)
>
> (exif tool site: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ and if
> down, see google cache
> http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:6t16A4Ez7zsJ:www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/+exiftool&hl=fi&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=fi&client=firefox-a
> )
>
> exiftool -b -PreviewImage DSC_8439.NEF > preview.jpg
> gave me a 564x372px preview image
>
> exiftool -b -ThumbnailImage DSC_8439.NEF > thumbnail.jpg
> gave me an empty preview image..
>
> Examples to extract:
> http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:xxwIY1C1BVYJ:www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/exiftool_pod.html+exiftool+extract+preview&hl=fi&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=fi&client=firefox-a
>
> This page http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/pepe/d70/Nikon_D70_on_Linux.html
> tells:
> "gqview, which uses the GTK library to load images, finds the first
> (smaller 120x160) thumbnail but knows nothing of the second, larger
> one. Here is an appalling patch for version 1.5.X to remedy the
> situation, which requires a working nefextract in you path first. You
> want jpegtran in your path as well to enable auto rotation (there is a
> good chance it is already installed for your system).  Right click and
> choose (Edit -> In the Gimp...) to complete a reasonable single photo
> workflow."
>
> AFAIK  this is my case, the preview images KPA shows are around
> 120x160px (though this is about GTK & GQview, but anyway..)
>
> It's a great step to see NEF:s orientate properly, another would be to
> see proper previews of NEF:s (a small res NEF preview on full screen
> is awful - that's why I always have to run a script that creates JPG:s
> from my NEF:s and the try to hide NEF:s from KPA to see..)

You'll use my filetype patch for that, will you? ;)

Thanks for all the info. It's a pitty there are so many tools and
libraries out there for raw files without code sharing; some get these
features of these formats right, others those of those, ...

KPA already uses at least two (parse.c/dcraw.c and (lib)exiv2). I hope
that parse.c/dcraw.c dependency will be substituted for a better one,
once we have a better one...

Michael