[KPhotoAlbum] order criteria for a family photo collection

Heinz Kohl kohl at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Feb 7 16:57:14 GMT 2007

Am Mittwoch 07 Februar 2007 15:09 schrieb Tero Tilus:

> KPA does not use time stamp as primary key.  You really can not expect
> it to be unique.
> KPA has unique primary key, a hash calculated from image date, which
> is used as image identity.

What's the problem with that?
Just an obvious technical difference!

> You _can_ build Carl von Linné's (Carolus Linnaeus) taxonomy (Linnaean
> taxonomy) using KPA and "sort" (in KPA terminology it's called
> categorization) images using it.

Trivial.
But it is of very restricted value.
Just to have some relatives is setting up grave window handling problems.
Every search task is at new setting up the problem to order a ten subwindows.
To save the window coordinates isn't enough - most X implementations are
ignoring them, e.g. at my SuSE10.0.

> To pick some nits...  Linnaean taxonomy classifies all living into a
> _hierarchy_.  Hierarchy is _not_ a sort order, although it is trivial
> to derive partial order relation (and thus partial sort order) of
> items from the hierarchy they are organized to.

And?
Really?
Would that set up any practical differencies?!
I'm not from the moon.
In 1970 I was setting up keys with arbitrary length.
No, I was not developing new techniques.
All what was needed were known and well tested procedures.
No, the technic of balanced trees was not known in that ancient times.

Even real numbers are ordered and could therefore be used for a sort order ;-)
That's no really a joke - of any two algebraic numbers it can be exactly(!)
said, which of both is the greater one. That's used in algebraic geometry.

> > Is there really any necessity to manage the picture of your
> > ancestors in tight connection e.g. with an historical car archive,
> > or to get the connection between the old testating aunt and
> > e.g. vultures or old furniture?
>
> No, and KPA does not force you to do that.  Build your taxonomy,

Sorry - KPA is forcing to drive only one single archive.
And it is lacking a method to implement other than explicitely defined
enumeration data.
That's not the right way to build a complete taxonomy.

> As far as I can see you seem to want KPA to derive some metadata from
> file names of your images.  Is that the case?

I was doing some such actions using some regular expression hack directly
modifying the index.xml file and was adding some categories in that manner.
But that's not enough.