[KPhotoAlbum] Second iteration of experimental image grouping patch

Paul Fleischer paul at xpg.dk
Mon Dec 3 23:22:40 GMT 2007

Hello,

2007/12/3, Harald <hhaak at gmx.de>:
[snip]
> With the master - derivate tags it's a nice way to tell which images belong
> together. Especially the separation of the visible flag and the hierarchy is
> very good. These two are really different semantics.

I agree. In the beginning I was unsure about separating the two, but
having experimented a bit with my patches, has led to several uses
where separation is an clear advantage. For instance, having multiple
preprocessed versions of a photo does not mean that only one of them
is interesting.

[snip]

> I think the button will also be necessary for the visible tag. First thing
> I've done with the third patch was a group with only hidden images :-(

Actually, I've tried to implement a "show hidden images" menu-item,
but it seemed to be a bit more work than I was ready to do at the time
:-). Some of the more knowledgeable will know if this can be done
easily or not.

> I think the search expression would make things a little easier to use. And
> also, if they are saved in configuration file instead of the database, it
> would be very easy to give different users a different view depending on
> their experience.
> But on the other hand, it makes things a little harder to understand, because
> you have to know / remember the search expression to understand why an image
> vanishes with some tag set. The visible tag is more direct.

This makes me think of introducing "views". A view would basically be
a search-expression of tags to show, and tags not to show. I don't
know if negations are currently implemented, can anyone clarify this?
Different people could then have different views. And one could even
have different views for different occasions.

On the other hand, this approach might be severe overkill, and in that
case it will complicate usage of KPA quite a lot. Right now, I
actually cannot come up with enough use-cases for this to be useful,
but maybe someone else can :-)

/Paul