[KPhotoAlbum] Second iteration of experimental image grouping patch

Harald hhaak at gmx.de
Mon Dec 3 19:46:32 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Monday 03 December 2007 07:24:15 Tero Tilus wrote:
> Before we start to implement "special" things we should always
> consider the gain against added complexity.  That is why I asked "do
> we really need this" in my first post to this thread.

Before adding complexity this is the right question to ask.

> How is this different (apart from the button) form "Visible" tag in
> you keywords and what you can do with it right now?

I surely can not tell if others need this feature but for me, it would be a
great benefit. For me alone, everything is OK as it is. But considering that
my wife also works with the images and tags some of them, it would make life
much easier if I have a possibility to tell which images belong together and
which one to hide by a default.

The way that this is implemented is secondary for me.

With the master - derivate tags it's a nice way to tell which images belong
together. Especially the separation of the visible flag and the hierarchy is
very good. These two are really different semantics.

The unique ID was just another idea for grouping images. Maybe easier for me
to parse with a script. But I'm afraid, I'll have to read the XML with a DOM
sooner or later. ;-)

I think the button will also be necessary for the visible tag. First thing
I've done with the third patch was a group with only hidden images :-(

I think the search expression would make things a little easier to use. And
also, if they are saved in configuration file instead of the database, it
would be very easy to give different users a different view depending on
their experience.
But on the other hand, it makes things a little harder to understand, because
you have to know / remember the search expression to understand why an image
vanishes with some tag set. The visible tag is more direct.

> Should we instead
> of specialities improve UI to enable this kind of fast toggle
> modifications of search (drill-down) expressions?

For the last thing, I'm not sure - sorry my English is not the best :-(
The fast toggle modifications of search expressions. Is it that some kind of
bookmarking of search expressions? This would be very cool. And it would
combine very well with a default search (or hide) expression :-)

ciao
Harald