[KPhotoAlbum] Idea for quick search feature

Shawn Willden shawn-kimdaba at willden.org
Thu Apr 26 14:33:27 BST 2007

On Thursday 26 April 2007 06:38:24 am Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
> I think having a search bar with basic 'search from everywhere, incl.
> all catogories and folder names and descriptions etc' with basic 'and,
> or, +(required), -(without)' would be great. Being able to define more
> specific, like 'people: martin' makes it quite difficult for people to
> understand what's going on. And I don't think one should be able to do
> all the same searches from the search bar as from the search dialog -
> this also means that I don't think KPA should be able to show all
> search syntaxes made from the search dialogue, in the search box.

There are two reasons I'm thinking the more-specific syntax is useful in the
simple UI:

1.  It provides a nice way to integrate the search bar with the "click to
find" features.  As Jesper pointed out, my initial proposal to use the
existing search bar as a quick search creates a UI problem:  What if after
typing something in the search bar the user then wants to drill down through
a category?  Does the initial quick search text just disappear so the search
bar can be used to select a tag from the category?  Does the quick search
need to be in a separate dialog or a separate edit line?  After the user has
picked a tag to drill into, what does the search bar show?  Or do we simply
disallow combining drill-down searches with quick searches?  By allowing the
click-to-find features to just generate additional elements in the search
text, all of these issues are resolved quite cleanly.

2.  I can see advanced users (like me!) liking the ability to type specific
queries, rather than clicking through the layers of categories, or pulling up
the advanced search.

Also, I disagree that it hurts usability to allow a more general search
syntax, as long as a simple syntax is supported.  Users who don't want to
understand the complex syntax can simply ignore it.

This is consistent with Google's search interface, BTW.  Google has a lot of
Google's search UI as having the following levels of complexity:

1.  Simple keyword search.  No +/-, no quotes, nothing but a list of keywords.
2.  More specific keyword search.  Users can use +/- and quoting to look for
specific phrases and exclude certain matches.  They can also use ~ to look
for synonyms, and boolean operators to connect them.
very precise, like "site:", "intitle:", "inurl:", "link:", "cache:", etc.

As Google demonstrates, this approach scales very nicely with user
capabilities.  Although I'm not planning to do it out of the gate, I don't
see any reason why the search bar *shouldn't* be able to express any query
expressible in the advanced search dialog.  In fact, from a maintainability
perspective I see a lot of advantages in ultimately making all queries go
through the same query language.  If quick searches, drilldown searches,
by the same engine, then there will be only one search infrastructure to
maintain.

Assuming, of course, that the search engine in question doesn't become too
complex to implement, maintain or execute efficiently.

	Shawn.