[KPhotoAlbum] Idea for quick search feature

Martin Hoeller martin at xss.co.at
Thu Apr 26 12:40:19 BST 2007

Am Donnerstag, 26. April 2007 13:29 schrieb Shawn Willden:
> On Thursday 26 April 2007 12:12:03 am Martin Hoeller wrote:
> > My idea for this is the following: come up with one syntax that
> > supports all requirements, so every frontend can use it. Then make any
> > UI (or better a layer below it) transform the user input to the complex
> > query by just adding the "AND"s, "OR"s, "{" and "}" and the like. This
> > way the complexity is hidden by the user but may still be enabled by a
> > special checkbox or a setting.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I like the idea in principle, with one reservation:  The user-visible
> syntax has to be sufficiently expressive to cover all of the cases the UI
> implments.

I think we are starting at the wrong end.

* First we want some enhanced search capabilities.
* Then we have to design and implement this search capabilities.
* And finally we need a UI which makes thhis feature available to the user.

If we get stuck while implementing the UI part, the design of the search
capabilities is probably broken and not convering all of our primary idea.

> I'm afraid that may still leave us with a moderately complex
> syntax.

Probably yes, but at least with a well defined one :)

- martin
Martin Höller                   | martin.hoeller at xss.co.at
*x Software + Systeme           | http://www.xss.co.at/
Karmarschgasse 51/2/20          | Tel: +43-1-6060114-30
A-1100 Vienna, Austria          | Fax: +43-1-6060114-71