Testing video support (was Re: [KPhotoAlbum] New snapshot)

Rafael Beccar rafabeccar at speedy.com.ar
Mon Sep 25 15:55:03 BST 2006

El Domingo, 24 de Septiembre de 2006 13:48, Jesper K. Pedersen escribió:
> Could someone who do not see videos in the viewer (when pressing Ctrl+i or
> doule clicking on an thumbnail), please let me know what the section on mpg
> says in "Help->KPhotoAlbum Feature Status"

The following was tested in two different systems. Both are Debian testing,
one of them is 32bits and the other 64bits.

First I've tried finding what applications are a KPart for video/mpeg. Those
I've found were:

- kaboodle
- kaffeine
- kmplayer

The one of them I use is kaffeine (kaboodle and kmplayer are not working well
in my systems).

However, I tested under different situations:

If I have none of this apps installed I get this in "Help->KPhotoAlbum Feature
Status":

"Inline MPEG video support: No"

If I install any of them, the status is "Inline MPEG video support:	Yes", but
I get different results with each one:

When kmplayer is installed and I double click on thumb, kmplayer is showed
with its control at the bottom of the screen. However, I cannot play the
corresponding video. But the real problem here is that I cannot play any
video with kmplayer neither inside nor outside KPA).

If only kaboodle is installed the problem is similar because I cannot make
kaboodle work neither

Kaffeine is the one that works outside KPA (e.g. I can play embedded video
under konqueror using kaffeine) and I set kaffeine as the default video
player in KDE Control Center.

Nevertheless, when I try to play videos from KPA and only kaffeine is
installed I only get a kind of white screen but no video is played.

Moreover, after attempting to play videos under KPA with kaffeine installed
and set as the default video player, KPA crash on exit with the following
backtrace:

Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".
[New Thread -1233439040 (LWP 5866)]
[New Thread -1238402128 (LWP 5867)]
[KCrash handler]
#5  0xb6a58db4 in pthread_mutex_lock () from /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0
#6  0xb6ad652e in _XUnregisterFilter () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
#7  0xb6ac2ef1 in XrmDestroyDatabase () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
#8  0xb6aaafa2 in _XFreeDisplayStructure () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
#9  0xb6a98647 in XCloseDisplay () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
#10 0xb6ef07b9 in qt_cleanup () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#11 0xb6f7316a in QApplication::~QApplication () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#12 0xb76cbc89 in KApplication::~KApplication () from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4
#13 0x08080c4c in main (argc=1, argv=0xbfe2a4e4) at main.cpp:92

Conclusions:
- Although KPA recognize kaffeine as a Kpart for playing videos (Inline MPEG
video support: Yes), I cannot play videos with it.
- Kaffeine makes KPA crash on exit.
- It seems KPA can play videos using kmplayer but kmplayer is not working well
in my Debian testing systems.

Hope this helps,
Rafael