[KPhotoAlbum] Importing Canon raw files

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 10 00:46:21 BST 2006

   From: Shawn Willden <shawn-kimdaba at willden.org>
   Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 17:01:46 -0600
   Cc: kphotoalbum at kdab.net

   On Tuesday 09 May 2006 16:19, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
   > I guess I'm just paranoid -- my take is that you never muck with your
   > negatives, no matter what (I got into a little scuffle with the GIMP
   > folks who were shocked that I don't immediately rotate all of my files
   > to be in the correct orientation).  And that means no matter what; any
   > exception is a slippery slope.  What if your computer crashes while
   > it's mucking with the file?

   I'm not arguing your philosophy with you, but exiftool first
   renames the original, then writes out the new version with the data
   removed.  So the risk of losing something from a crash that doesn't
   cause significant filesystem corruption is nil.  Besides, I don't
   delete the files from the CF card until the download process (which
   includes the JPEG stripping) is complete, successfully.  So in the
   event of a crash, I'd just download again.

   IMO, removing the PreviewImage from the RAW is a safe and
   reasonable thing to do, but I can certainly see that a bit more
   paranoia and a bit less concern about disk space could lead to a
   different conclusion.

I guess my take is that there might be a bug in the program.  I'm
fairly paranoid about things like that.  Disk space is cheap these
days.  If your raw + jpeg consumes 12 MB, that's 20,000 images on a
250 GB drive that costs maybe $120 or so -- we're talking a couple of
cents per image.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton