[KPhotoAlbum] Importing Canon raw files

Shawn Willden shawn-kimdaba at willden.org
Wed May 10 00:01:46 BST 2006

On Tuesday 09 May 2006 16:19, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
> I guess I'm just paranoid -- my take is that you never muck with your
> negatives, no matter what (I got into a little scuffle with the GIMP
> folks who were shocked that I don't immediately rotate all of my files
> to be in the correct orientation).  And that means no matter what; any
> exception is a slippery slope.  What if your computer crashes while
> it's mucking with the file?

I'm not arguing your philosophy with you, but exiftool first renames the
original, then writes out the new version with the data removed.  So the risk
of losing something from a crash that doesn't cause significant filesystem
corruption is nil.  Besides, I don't delete the files from the CF card until
the download process (which includes the JPEG stripping) is complete,
successfully.  So in the event of a crash, I'd just download again.

IMO, removing the PreviewImage from the RAW is a safe and reasonable thing to
do, but I can certainly see that a bit more paranoia and a bit less concern
about disk space could lead to a different conclusion.

	Shawn.