[KPhotoAlbum] Importing and Exporting tags

Rui Malheiro rmalheiro at 6mil.pt
Sun Jun 18 11:35:13 BST 2006

[Domingo, 18 de Junho de 2006 02:14] jedd:

>  I don't use DigiKam or F-spot (or anything else) to manage my
>  photos, only KPA.  Tools to translate the meta-data between these
>  apps would be of no use to *me*.  I'd speculate that the majority of
>  users would stick with a single app, but I have little basis for that
>  belief.

While most people will focus on one photo management application, there are
times where you'll need to account for interoperability:

1. When two or more persons browse/manage the same collection, each may want
to use a different application. The situation where he uses KDE with native
KPhotoAlbum and she uses Gnome with native F-Spot is a good example.

2. When testing/migrating to different applications. For example, I recentely
tried Picasa for Linux on (a backup of) my collection. (Very nice application
BTW. KPA still beats it in management capabilities though.)

3. When sending photos to family and friends.

I think it would be great to have a standard XML format so that every image
browser/manager could pickup tags when displaying an image.

--
Rui Malheiro
6 Mil - Tecnologias de Informção, Lda.