[KPhotoAlbum] New snapshot - and freeze anouncement

Nicolas M. Thiery nthiery at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 16 10:18:18 GMT 2006

	Dear Jesper,

Since we are at bug-fixing time, here is a bug report to make your
great soft even cooler!

With my current setting, when I select a large number of images, and
starts the image viewer (in full screen, 1400x1050) the memory used by
Kimdaba starts increasing at a rate of 5Mo/s even if I don't do
anything; at some point, it reaches 500 Mo, my laptop starts swapping
like mad, and I often end up being forced to reboot.  The thing is
that this is a typical use-case when I show pictures of my latest
trips to my friends; and they end up gossiping about the stability of
linux and open-source software. Bummer :-(

On the other hand, if I detect the problem early enough and leave the
full-screen viewer with escape, then Kimdaba returns immediately to
normal memory usage (~100 Mo). Also, if the number of selected image
is small enough, the memory stops increasing at some point: overall,
it sounds like the viewer is preloading all selected images in the
cache, with a memory consumption of about 7Mo/ image. I have tried
playing around with the viewer cache size configuration, but with no
luck; it seems to be ignored. On the other hand, when I temporarily
moved away my index.xml file, and recreated a brand new one with the
same images, the problem disappeared.

I noticed this problem first about one year ago; sorry I did not take
the time earlier to report it. I assume that it is caused by some
inappropriate setting in my configuration file.

Has anyone else experienced some similar behavior?

Configuration: Kimdaba 2.1, i386, Fedora Core 4, with latest updates,
qt3.3, kde 3.5. Main settings in my XML file:

 <config viewSortTye="0" passwd="" ensureImageWindowsOnScreen="1"
 viewerCacheSize="5" albumCategory="Folder" showDrawings="0"
 htmlBaseURL="http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/Photos/" previewSize="256"
 thumbSize="96" displayLabels="1" launchViewerFullScreen="1"
 windowWidth-0="1392" showInfoBox="1" windowWidth-1="1392"
 viewerWidth_1400="600" fromDate="2005-01-01" htmlDestURL=""
 trustTimeStamps="0" windowHeight-0="1025"
 thumbNailBackgroundColor="#000000" windowHeight-1="1025"
 autoShowThumbnailViewCount="0" slideShowInterval="5"
 toDate="2006-01-01" exclude="1" infoBoxPosition="7"
 slideShowHeight_1400="450" alignColumns="1" locked="0" showDate="1"
 imageDirectory="/home/nthiery/Photos" histogramHeigth="30"
 histogramWidth="15" searchForImagesOnStartup="1" autoSave="5"
 version="1" viewerHeight_1400="450" launchSlideShowFullScreen="1"
 showDescription="1" maxImages="10000" useEXIFComments="1"
 useEXIFRotate="1" rowSpacing="10" showTime="1"
 htmlBaseDir="file:/home/nthiery/www/Photos/"
 slideShowWidth_1400="600" >

I haven't tried yet the latest snapshot of KImageViewer; let me know
if you think this might make a difference, and I will give it a try.
Let me know if I should send you the full .xml file, or if I can do
more experiment for you.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
					Nicolas