[KPhotoAlbum] Performance issue: KPA too slow when clicking on "big" supercategories

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Dec 24 16:16:50 GMT 2006

   From: "Jesper K. Pedersen" <blackie at blackie.dk>
   Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 11:32:17 +0100

   Seems like you are right indeed. That just shows how little I use
   subcategories myself.

   I spent the better of an hour profiling it, and came to the
   conclusion that it unfortunately is the algorithms that sucks
   rather than the implementation. In my database with ~7000 images,
   it takes billions of string compares to search for a large enough
   category :-/

This is probably what I reported about a month ago.

   It is unfortunately too late to do something about that for the
   next release.  I do, however, plan to spent some time to make a
   patch level release after the next one, which will include bug
   fixes and optimizations only.

Another thing I'd like to look at is scanning for images.  It takes me
about 100 seconds on a database of 20000 images the first time I do it
(succeeding times are very fast -- a fraction of a second).  This is
using reiserfs with a single 250 GB 7200 RPM drive.  It's likely that
different filesystems will yield different -- possibly radically
different -- results.

This is due to the fact that every file is being stat()'ed, even if
it's already in the database.  I tried rearranging the code in
question to not call isReadable() unless the file is not registered in
the database, but that didn't help.  The problem is that QDir always
calls stat() on every directory entry even if no filters are
specified.  Since we're not going to be able to change Qt, we may want
to devise our own directory class (or derive a class from QDir) for
this purpose.

There's one other issue: people who use RAW+JPEG and choose not to
index both, or who use cameras that generate thumbnail files, will
still have to stat all of these files.  There may be workarounds, such
lists of extensions to ignore outright (which of course would break if
someone actually named a directory foo.thm or the like), or some other
way to ignore JPEG files if the RAW files are already indexed.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton