[KPhotoAlbum] member groups

jedd jedd at progsoc.org
Mon Aug 21 02:03:24 BST 2006

 Hi Jesper,

 I think conceptually there's a sticking point in there .. but I haven't
 thought about it much in the past couple of years.

 Person and Location are both subsets of keywords - it's just that
 the current naming system asserts Keywords as a kind of an 'everything
 that isn't a name or a place'.  Consider how often a proper noun
 appears in your Keywords (well, it happens *lot* for me, but maybe
 not for anyone else -- f.e. party at *Selina's*, ride at *Ocean Park*
 and so on).

 Of course, having a name like 'misc' instead of 'Keywords' would just
 be ugly and increase ambiguity anyway, and changing the nomenclature
 at that level, now, would be crazy, too.

 But I digress.

 Instead of 'member group', how about something like super-group
 (uber-group?) to encapsulate a bunch of ordinary groups.

 Custom categories made a lot of sense when I first started, and still
 does now -- so this is a good sign.  So keeping 'Category' to describe
 Person, Location, Keyword and arbitrary Custom Group seems the
 best approach to me.

 Member-groups could be changed to Sub-group, but Sub and Super
 may be a bit close, semioticly, at least in English.  I've no idea
 how well these prefixes translate into other languages.  Oh, the 'uber'
 thing above, I meant that more as an adopted English word now,
 and not a partial translation.  Sorry about that.

 ] A name for the leafs in the member groups (currently I call these members in
 ] the context of member groups). Nevada would be a member.

 This one could get confusing, I think probably because you have
 'members' and 'member-groups' in the current taxonomy, and they
 refer to very different things.

 Leaf sounds a bit binary-tree ish.

 Item is too vague.

 Affiliate -- is the right concept, I think, at least .. but probably
 wouldn't work well.   Needs more thought.

 Jedd.