[KimDaBa] Suggestion for multiple labeling?

Wes Hardaker wjhns25 at hardakers.net
Wed Sep 21 20:49:33 BST 2005

WH> What I like about it is that I temporarily assign a key 'r' for Robert

Robert> When you say 'assign', you mean in your mind, right?

Yep.  Or on a postit note in front of me sometimes.

I'd rather have the ability to temporally apply certain keys directly
to people, and thought about looking into implementing it directly
within Kimdaba but it was going to be more time (personal time being
short these days) and I think has generally agreed, apparently,
would not be a good feature to add and didn't want to do the work if
it was not going to be accepted.

WH> in a particular group of pictures, and then as I page through a full
WH> screen view I simply type r for every Robert picture.  It's much
WH> faster, IMHO, than using the configure-one-image-at-a-time browser
WH> because I can add a ton of tags to a bunch of images one click at a
WH> time.

Robert> I don't quite follow what you are saying... particularly 'one
Robert> click at a time'..

one key stroke at a time.

WH> For a long time I'd go backward and
WH> forward to the token list and manually select all images with ctrl-a
WH> and then ctrl-2 to select the people I wanted, or whatever, but I
WH> think the way I'm doing it now is much faster.

Robert> I assume 'the way' is use tags in kimdaba, then run your perl script to
Robert> convert the tags to the appropriate keywords/persons?

Yes.

WH> I'll post these scripts publically if anyone is interested.

Robert> Have you tried the Image::Kimdaba module? I'm assuming your
Robert> script is a simpler one-purpose deal?

I actually found that after starting to write some of the initial
code, but ended up still using the XML::Smart module instead since it
allowed modification of the database which the Image::Kimdaba module
doesn't support.  I back up mine all the time, which I think is wise ;-)

Robert> I hadn't gotten there yet, but have you tried the Export
Robert> function? It looks like it can do hard-links, which would seem
Robert> to be good for export/sharing.

True.