[KimDaBa] new feature: IPTC keywords

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 01:20:23 BST 2005

On 10/24/05, Robert L Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>    Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:24:35 +0200
>    From: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>
>
>    On 10/23/05, Robert L Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>    >    Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:23:47 +0200
>    >    From: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>
>    >
>    > BTW, I'm not convinced that a plugin is the right way to do this;
>    > adding a keyword would change the MD5 hash, which is something the
>    > core application needs to know about.  I'm also dubious about an
>    > architecture that specifies that it won't change the file, but it's
>    > perfectly OK for a plugin to; users shouldn't really have to know
>    > about the difference between a plugin and the core application.
>
>    I personally wouldn't mind if KimDaBa touched this part of the
>    photo.  It supposedly does not affect the image, or the quality of
>    the image (like rotating does). Maybe a big fat warning popup when
>    IPTC data is first entered would be in order. Or even an import
>    feature whereby imported photos CAN be touched. That would lead the
>    way to other plugins that are nessaccary, such as red-eye reduction
>    and brightness/ contrast control. As an end user, I expect these
>    basic features to be in the image organizing software. Although,
>    anything else should be left to the Gimp or Photoshop.
>
> Red-eye reduction and brightness/contrast control are actually quite
> destructive.  Brightness/contrast adjustment permanently loses a lot
> of information, particularly since images are normally stored in 8 bit
> mode -- adjusting it back won't restore that information.  Those
> features belong in image editors, not image organizers.

I agree that those features belong in editors and not in organizers.
However, as a user in the real world, I find that I must use these two
features a lot. I need them close at hand. Kind of like my Philips
head screwdriver. I know that it belongs in the drawer with the other
tools, but I use it SO MUCH that I leave it in my desk drawer. I need
it close at hand.

I don't want to open the Gimp every time I need to remove a touch of
scarlet from my wife's eyes, or help out the underpowered flash on my
Fuji s5500. This is exactly the reason plugins were invented. In the
spirit of FireFox extensions, a touchup plugin would let the program
continue to be the pure no-touchy thing that it is, yet still let me
work efficiently. An IPTC plugin would have to be a little more
intimate with the operation of the program, but I think that it is
workable and desirable.

But I do have a personal interest in the matter. I am dying to be rid
of that windows box. All that is stopping me is decent image-managment
software.

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/short_answer/what_is_a_cellphone.html