[KimDaBa] Rescan for images proposal

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sat Oct 22 16:52:00 BST 2005

   Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:23:23 +0200
   From: Marco Molteni <molter at tin.it>

   On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:23:00 -0400
   "Jesper K. Pedersen" <blackie at blackie.dk> wrote:

   > Interesting idea.
   > Still with ~6000 images here, it takes less than 2 sec to rescan.
   > How long does it take for you, and how many images do you have?

   I did some tests, and I have to say kimdaba's performance is more
   that acceptable as is with my setup:

   3212 images, 3.8 GB, 200 directories
   start kimdaba: 10 sec (from a non KDE environment)
   build database from scratch: 2 min 30 sec
   rescan, cache warm or cold no difference, < 2 sec

How do you know that your cache is cold?  If you tried this right
after building the database from scratch, the metadata was probably
already in the cache.  Try it immediately after a reboot.

This will also vary somewhat with the particular filesystem you're
using.

   running this test on FreeBSD -current, standard kernel,
   standard UFS2 filesystem, soft updates, dirhash,
   AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ (2010.31-MHz 686-class CPU)
   ad0: 190782MB <WDC WD2000BB-55GUA0 08.02D08> at ata0-master UDMA100