[KimDaBa] Rescan for images proposal

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sat Oct 22 13:02:23 BST 2005

   From: "Jesper K. Pedersen" <blackie at blackie.dk>
   Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:23:00 -0400

   Interesting idea.
   Still with ~6000 images here, it takes less than 2 sec to rescan.
   How long does it take for you, and how many images do you have?

It took about 75 seconds to rescan the first time, and 4~5 seconds
after that (10000 images, 30 GB of images, PIII-1000, 100 GB 4200 RPM
disk, 90 GB Reiserfs filesystem, 512 MB SDRAM).  The problem is
filesystem overhead.

A while back you dramatically sped up startup by not having it scan
all of the images at startup time.  That was a good thing to do, but
it means that any operation which requires scanning all of the images
(such as scanning for new images, but also in some cases searching by
date range) will be very slow if the filesystem cache is cold.  For
people who store each shoot in a different directory, this could be a
substantial improvement.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton