[KimDaBa] General questions.

Marco Molteni molter at tin.it
Wed Oct 19 20:28:27 BST 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:59:39 +0200 (CEST)
Lars Tore Gustavsen <reklame at mulebakken.net> wrote:

[..]

> Background. Since I get my canon 10d a couple of years ago I have
> taken  all images in raw format. I also like to do some image editing,
> so some of  my images have different versions .
>
> Are there any support for versions of a image?
> If not, do you tag the raw file, and the processed  image?  Like
> double  work.

I have a similar workflow, I edit a lot of my images and I have
different versions: jpg and xcf (gimp).

I am not an expert in kimdaba (yet ;-) so don't take what I am
saying as 100% verified, but I don't think there is explicit support
for image versioning.

A way to add support for image versioning (which I think would be
a very good idea) would be to embed a serial number in each image.
(don't know how to portably embed a serial number in a raw file,
but it is easily doable in a jpg file). Say foo-1.jpg is the original
version, you tell so to kimdaba and it inserts a serial number in it.
You then edit foo-1.jpg and create foo-2.jpg. As long as the editing
program doesn't mess with jpeg comments, the serial number is still
there. Next time that kimdaba runs it detects that there is a duplicate
serial number and deducts that foo-2.jpg is a version of foo-1.jpg.

Or, to avoid embedding anything, one could use a simple convenction
that -N (where N is a number) is a version. Example

foo.jpg
foo-1.jpg
foo-2.jpg

this is less robust.

> Can I choose  to not index my raw files, but still keep them in my
> ~/image  structure?

I think there is a way to avoid indexing thumbnails so it should
be possible to avoid indexing your raw files.

marco