[KimDaBa] new feature: hierarchical categories/groups editor?

Marco Molteni molter at tin.it
Wed Oct 19 11:58:15 BST 2005

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 12:46, Eivind wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 October 2005 11:53, Marco Molteni wrote:
> > very nice. We could add a visual sign to the tags that appear
> > in multiple groups, for example normal text is black and
> > Cottbus and Eid is blue.
>
> I doubt this is useful. If you're looking for things geographically,
> say, it's unlikely to interest you (much) that this tag ("Eid") is
> also a member of "something" other than "Westnorway", atleast I don't
> see why that would interest you.

Your point is correct if what you are doing is searching. If on the
other hand what you are doing is managing your graph, then you want
to know if a tag has multiple parents or not. And as always, it
can be an option to show the visual difference or not.

> > Another possibility, but I think it requires more coding, is
> > a graph-like display. This would allow for loops.
>
> Loops make no (or little) sense, conceptually.
>
> If Every picture that is tagged "A" is also "B" (for example: every
> "Germany" is also "Europe") and at the same time every picture that
> is tagged "B" is also "A" (every "Europe" is "Germany", not true in
> this case) then A and B are identical tags and could as well be
> combined.
>
> Put another way, if every "friend" is a "pal" and every "pal" is a
> "friend", then you could just as well do away with those two separate
> tags and just have a single "friends & pals" tag.

I think there are two points here.

One one hand, if loops already exist in deployed kimdaba index.xml,
then you either have to support them or to provide a _meaningful_ way to
remove them, _assuming_ that loops are not useful.

On the other hand, we now have to define loops. A graph without loops
is a tree by definition, so I am not sure what is a loop for you.

It might be useful to look at the examples for kofoto at
http://kofoto.rosdahl.net/trac/wiki/CategoryTree, the example with
people, work and friends shows that a graph (read: a graph with loops,
not a tree) is useful.

marco