[KimDaBa] new feature: hierarchical categories/groups editor?

Eivind ekj at zet.no
Wed Oct 19 11:46:22 BST 2005

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 11:53, Marco Molteni wrote:

> very nice. We could add a visual sign to the tags that appear
> in multiple groups, for example normal text is black and
> Cottbus and Eid is blue.

I doubt this is useful. If you're looking for things geographically, say,
it's unlikely to interest you (much) that this tag ("Eid") is also a
member of "something" other than "Westnorway", atleast I don't see why
that would interest you.

> Another possibility, but I think it requires more coding, is
> a graph-like display. This would allow for loops.

Loops make no (or little) sense, conceptually.

If Every picture that is tagged "A" is also "B" (for example: every
"Germany" is also "Europe") and at the same time every picture that is
tagged "B" is also "A" (every "Europe" is "Germany", not true in this
case) then A and B are identical tags and could as well be combined.

Put another way, if every "friend" is a "pal" and every "pal" is a
"friend", then you could just as well do away with those two separate tags
and just have a single "friends & pals" tag.

OK, so maybe someone uses this to set up synonyms. Does anyone actually do
this ? I see that it's possible, I'm just not really sure if it's
desirable, atleast not desirable enough to allow loops for this reason
only.

	Eivind Kjørstad