[KimDaBa] Input needed on EXIF

Fredrik Linusson fredrik-kimdaba_gen at linusson.com
Fri Nov 25 16:31:36 GMT 2005

On Friday 25 November 2005 16:55, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
> Before I start my regular work day, let me just ask you guys for a bit of
> input on a few issues, so I've got something to work on over the weekend.
>
> The first topic is EXIF.
>
> Yeah now I got a camera, where I need to know about shutter speed, focal
> length and all those things, so I want this in KimDaBa (Why didn't someone
> not just buy me such a camera years ago, that would have been easier than
> all the complaining, wouldn't it :-)
>
> First question, any idea on what EXIF library to use?
> the first one if libexif, that is rather obvious, I believe it is included
> in most distributions. On the other hand it is a C library, so I'm not to
> happy about that.
>
> The second I found is Exiv2. It is C++, but I did not find it in Suse 10,
> so it might be a harder battle for kimdaba with distributions.
>
> The third one is KEXIF. Its advantage is that it is used by KIPI, but it is
> rather limiting to work with from my view, so I'd have to modify it a lot
> myself to get the best out of it.
>
> Any thoughts?

Nope, not from a programmers point of view.
Last time I checked exiftool was one of the most competent tools. Thing might
have changed since then, it does what I need so I do not look around for
alternatives.
It's a perlmoudle thoght, so I guess that would disqualify it. But maybe for
inspiration regarding what stuff could be useful?

> Second. I'm sure you already told me tons of times, but I'm so good at
> forgetting. Tell me all your dreams on what kimdaba should be able to do
> with EXIF.

Not much suggestion here, I'm afraid. I want to be able to view all the info,
preferably configure what is always shown. Editing some of them, like date
and time and comment etc would be nice.
Not got so far yet that I know what KimDaBa can do now or miss all that it
can't. Still working on sorting my old archives into it, so all exif is still
sone elsewhere...

/Linus