[KimDaBa] Input needed on EXIF

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Fri Nov 25 15:55:10 GMT 2005

Before I start my regular work day, let me just ask you guys for a bit of
input on a few issues, so I've got something to work on over the weekend.

The first topic is EXIF.

Yeah now I got a camera, where I need to know about shutter speed, focal
length and all those things, so I want this in KimDaBa (Why didn't someone
not just buy me such a camera years ago, that would have been easier than all
the complaining, wouldn't it :-)

First question, any idea on what EXIF library to use?
the first one if libexif, that is rather obvious, I believe it is included in
most distributions. On the other hand it is a C library, so I'm not to happy
about that.

The second I found is Exiv2. It is C++, but I did not find it in Suse 10, so
it might be a harder battle for kimdaba with distributions.

The third one is KEXIF. Its advantage is that it is used by KIPI, but it is
rather limiting to work with from my view, so I'd have to modify it a lot
myself to get the best out of it.

Any thoughts?

Second. I'm sure you already told me tons of times, but I'm so good at
forgetting. Tell me all your dreams on what kimdaba should be able to do with
EXIF.

Jesper K. Pedersen          |  Klarälvdalens Datakonsult
Senior Software Engineer    |  www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Prinsensgade 4a st.         |
9800 Hjørring               |  Platform-independent
Denmark                     |  software solutions