[KimDaBa] RAW previews/thumbnails in kimdaba

Steffen Hansen steffen at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Sun May 15 15:25:23 BST 2005

Hi.

I have adapted Dave Coffin's thumbnail extraction code for use with
kimdaba. This should give us support for previews of many different RAW
formats.

The code is in the development branch of kimdaba, which you probably
don't want to bother with right now because of the danger that it will
destroy your database file or whatever.

Still I'd like to get the code exposed a bit so we can weed out the bugs
(esp. for cameras I don't have files from), so I have turned the same
code into a thumbnail creator for konqueror.

Can you give it a try? The code is available from
http://www.hrhansen.dk/~steffen/hacks/, just unpack and run

./configure && make && make install

(ignore all the warnings -- it seems that Coffin is a great at reverse
engineering, but not so great at writing tidy code :-)

Then restart KDE. You probably have to open the konqueror config dialog
and increase the maximum size for files that are considered for
thumbnails, otherwise it'll skip all your RAW files :)

Another thing: I'm not 100% sure how KMimeMagic works, but if you have
trouble, edit $KDEDIR/share/mimelnk/magic and comment out the two lines
for TIFF images -- the rule for matching TIFF contents is very general
and seems to falsely match some RAW files even though they are not TIFF
compatible.

regards
--
Steffen Hansen          |       Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
Senior Software Engineer|       http://www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se