[KimDaBa] Re: Next release one week, then what?!

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun May 8 16:17:16 BST 2005

   From: "Jesper K. Pedersen" <blackie at blackie.dk>
   Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 14:52:24 +0200
   Cc: Robert L Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu>

   On Monday 02 May 2005 00:20, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
   | A few wishes of my own here:
   |
   | 1) A way to generate a list of image files (File->List, File->Export
   |    List, or whatever) that I can pass to some other program.  Drag and
   |    drop doesn't cut it; the program I want to apply the file list to
   |    might not know about drag and drop, or it might not be graphical at
   |    all.  I'd actually prefer this in some ways to having kimdaba
   |    delete images; generate a list of filenames that I want to delete,
   |    then I can review them or just move them somewhere else.

   This sound like a good candidate for a plugin.

Perhaps.

   | 3) An option to export, generate HTML, etc. that preserves the
   |    directory hierarchy rather than putting everything at top level.

   Hmm, yeah I've heard that before. Why is this really important? Doesn't the
   KIPI plugin help you here?

The idea (at least as I see it) behind export is to generate a .kim
file, which is intended for import into another instance of kimdaba.
In this situation, you'd probably want to preserve the hierarchy.

   | 4) Improvements in the smoothness of scrolling (this is one regard in
   |    which kimdaba is still slower than some other image viewers).

   I'm really out of ideas how to improve any further, I'm afraid.

OK, this is something we should think about.

   | 5) Themes for exporting to HTML.

   There is already, besides HTML export is not a topic I really wanna touch
   much.

Fair enough.

   | 6) When exporting to HTML or otherwise, use a filename suffix that
   |    matches what's actually being exported.  For example, exporting a
   |    file named foo.png generates a file named foo.png, even though the
   |    exported file is actually a JPEG.

   Ouch that is indeed a bug.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton