[KimDaBa] another feature request

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Thu May 5 01:00:13 BST 2005

   Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 17:04:38 +0200
   From: Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?H=F6ller?= <martin at xss.co.at>

   As i was trying to move some of my older images to a CD i found out
   that offline-support in kimdaba is kind of lacking.

   What i wanted to do is to move some folders containing pictures to
   another location to burn it on a CD. But when i moved the folders i
   found out that the thumbnails were in a subfolder which prevented
   kimdaba from viewing thumbnails when (re)moving the whole folder.

The easiest way to do that is to export the photos into the directory
of your choice.  I know I submitted a patch to allow exporting by
links, so it wouldn't consume more disk space.

   As the thumbnails are named with the name of the original file in
   it, it's also not possible to do a thumbnail -> original file
   mapping if the filenames were for example truncated to 8.3 because
   of a broken CD-burning-program.

8+3 MUST DIE!!!

   So what i suggest is the following:

   1) move all the thumbnails in a folder at the very top (like =20
      CategoryImages). What about a hidden directory .kimdaba/ with a
      CategoryImages and Thumbnails folders in it?

   2) As kimdaba uses checksums anyway, why not use it in the names of
      the thumbnails?

This won't solve your 8+3 problem anyway, since kimdaba uses MD5
checksums (160 bits).

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton