[KimDaBa] Really rotate the pictures ?

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 22 13:24:58 GMT 2005

   Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:18:21 +0100
   From: Jean-Michel FAYARD <jmfayard at gmail.com>
   Cc: kimdaba at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se

   On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 07:11:57 -0500, Robert L Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
   >   Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:30:23 +0100
   >   From: Jean-Michel FAYARD <jmfayard at gmail.com>
   >
   >   For kimdaba 2.1, what about making an exception to Kimdaba's
   >   philosophy that it doesn't modify the original pictures, and really
   >   rotating the pictures.  It's a bit ugly at the moment for
   >   interoperability with other software or when you burn a CD.
   >
   > My take: software that doesn't handle EXIF information is broken, and
   > needs to be fixed.  It isn't Kimdaba's problem that other software
   > can't handle this.  The rotation information is valuable, and IMHO
   > shouldn't be destroyed.

   KimDaBa does not modify the EXIF when I rotate a picture from it.
   Instead, it put an attribute
      <image ... angle="90"  ...>
      </image>
   in the index.xml file. Another software has no chance to know about
   that information.

Let me clarify: I don't think kimdaba should routinely modify the
image if EXIF information is present.  Thus, if kimdaba's importing
images and sees EXIF rotation information, it should not rotate the
image on disk and remove the EXIF tag.  The EXIF rotation information
does contain information about camera orientation, which could
conceivably be important.

If there's no EXIF information (or it's wrong, and the user specifies
that it should be changed), that's a different matter.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton