[KimDaBa] I'm giving up on the SQL backend - unless you can help one way or the other

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Mon Jul 18 20:29:46 BST 2005

For many month I've been working on making it possible to use a SQL backend
for kimdaba. This has changed from being fun to being something which is
dragging energy out of me.

In Danish we have a saying that at some point you gotta stop putting good
money into saving bad money. Which is the point I've reached now. This is the
point where I either stop with this now, or KimDaBa will likely not survive.

For me kimdaba is about fun programming, kimdaba *must* be something I long to
do when I'm at my daytime job programming, otherwise I could just as well do
overtime at my daytime job.

If you think this is important enough for you as a kimdaba user, there are two
things you can do:

1) take over the SQL backend stuff. I've made a LOT of changes to kimdaba
overall, so it now is more appropriate for plugin in a new backend, so a SQL
backend would be possible to finish without touching too much of the rest of
kimdaba. (Yes I will be as paranoid about someone touching the core kimdaba
code as always, but you would get free hand in the SQL backend part, and I
would prioritize any patches from you to the rest of kimdaba to get things
working in the backend.)

2) you can make this into a day time job for me - well I'm not going to quit
my day time job, but getting money from kimdaba developing in the evenings
would nevertheless be a motivating factor. If you are interested in this
option write me a personal email, and we may discuss conditions.

Kind regards
Jesper (Who will continue working on kimdaba for many years to come one way or
the other ;-)