[KimDaBa] YMS

jedd jedd at progsoc.org
Wed Jan 5 01:39:40 GMT 2005

 (yet more suggestions)

 I'm still using 2.0-2 (Debian package), btw.

 Bug:  When I start KimDaBa with new images present, I get two dialogs.
 The first is the 'Trust time stamps?' yes/no dialog.  This is pretty
 quickly obscured by the larger 'Loading information from images' dialog.
 This sits there at 0% .. blocked until the Trust-Time-Stamps dialog is
 brought to the front and acted upon.  Trivial, but irritating.

 Maybe Bug: I'm slowly starting to implement member groups.  I'm
 starting with location - with country names, since they're obvious and
 easy and sensible.  In the past I've put the country name in to the
 normal Location area, but now I want to find only locations that are
 in 'australia' but not in the member group 'Australia'.  (Does this
 make sense?)  That way I can then go through them, and put in a better
 location (city, region, state, etc) and update the Member group to have
 that city/region/state/etc assigned to the Member group 'Australia'.

 ... However, Location:Australia / Location: No Other Locations, gives
 me lots of results of multi-locationed items, including places that are
 sub-group members, but do not include the word 'Australia'.  I have
 to go and un-select each sub-group of the member group 'Australia'
 and then try this again.  Sub-optimal.  Not sure if the multi-group
 member-group thing should act this way -- particularly when there are
 images that contain only the main group name and none of the sub-group
 names.

 Related: I have a group of friends called that refers to themselves as
 the scooby gang.  I've got a member group of Persons that lists each
 of those people, but sometimes it would be nice to see pics that
 contain *all* of those people, not just pics that contain *some* of
 them.  I think this has been discussed before, but I'm not sure what
 the consensus was.  I think the previous discussion may have been about
 selecting things through the main dialog, with AND .v. OR options,
 rather than having member groups configured to do AND's as well
 as OR's.

 Finally: I was at a wedding earlier this week.  (Yes, yes, I know, but
 I couldn't talk them out of it.)  One neat thing they did was have a
 slideshow going off to one-side of photos that all their guests had sent
 them before, plus photos from the ceremony.  It actually worked
 really well, as an aside.  Particularly the 'bride and groom as kids'
 pictures.  Anyhoo, I have no idea if there's something comparable for
 GNU/Linux, that has that nice blend out/in feature like the MacOS
 screen saver, but given that KimDaBa is my image database of choice,
 I thought it'd be a neat feature to have a funkier slideshow facility.

 Specifically :
 Sweeps or blends or fades or whatever other options may exist to
 do the transitions from one pic to the next.  That slightly unsettling
 slow zoom / pan thing that the MacOS screen saver thing does is in
 fact a bit addictive, once you get used to seeing it.

 Nicer font settings / configurable positions & text styles of the
 Location / Date / Persons stuff on the image.  It'd be superb if you
 could put Location at the top, with just the (Year) in brackets after
 it, say, and People at the bottom.  Things like saying Location instead
 of Locations if there's only one .. are trivial, and so I wouldn't risk
 offending by sending in a patch for that.  ;)   More swanky features
 like transparent text boxes I'll leave until next Christmas to ask for.

 If you've played with amaroK (the *other* app that I tempt people to
 come over from the Dark Side with) then the OSD configuration thing
 is a great example -- you can drag that to where you want it on-screen,
 and configure colours, font style & size, etc, and a string like :
"%trackname - %length\n{%Album - } (%bitrate)"

 Things in {} only appear if the data is available.  A neat way of
 handling optional data in your collection, I think.  Anyway, that's
 my recommendation for the Easter holidays.  ;)

 I'll let you get back to breakfast now.

 Jedd.