[KimDaBa] Profiling Kimdaba startup

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Tue Jan 4 08:06:30 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 09:01, Eivind wrote:
| On Tuesday 04 January 2005 07:46, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
| > Robert, thx for your profiling.
| > As it looks now, I can't see that there are any thing else I can do to
| > speed up things, except rewritting to a real database.
| >
| > Rewritting to a real db would be a huge job, and currently I dont see it
| > worth it to save at most 2.5+1=3.5 secs. People with 50.000 images might
| > disagree, but we aren't really there yet
|
| I agree with this. Spending lots of time to change to a "real db" isn't
| likely to deserve being on the top of the priority list at present. Though
| I do think that keeping the thougth is a good idea, for example in trying
| to not needlessly further complicate a later switch.
Sure, I've done so from the very start.

| > (at least that is not what I hear from most kimdaba users), and once we
| > are there, computers are likely so much faster that the 25 secs has gone
| > done.
|
| This however, I disagree with.
|
| A real db migth bring faster startup-times, which is important for people
| with humongous collections of pictures. I think this group of people is
| going to grow very quickly as the years with digital cameras pass. I know
| that my picture-collection grows by atleast a couple of thousand images a
| year, and I'm probably not the only one.
See here I kind of disagree, Even with 2000 images per year, you will spent
12.5 year to get to 25000 images, by the computers will be able to read a
billion image database (in its current XML format) in a fraction of a second.
But as I said before, lets see, if a huge amount of users get databases which
are this size, I will reconsider.

| Secondly, startup-time ain't the only reason a real database can be
| desireable. Another reason that in certain setting is atleast as important
| is multiuser-functionality. With a real database it should be possible for
| more than one person to work against a single image-archive. This is a
| showstopper for basically any professional or half-professional use where
| the users are more than a single person at a time. Similarily it should
| allow more fine-grained access-control since typical databases come with
| such built-in.
I agree with the multi user issue, but on that issue my point is very clear -
I'm not going to spent a single minute of my spare time on developing
features in kimdaba that only professionals gain something from. If a picture
company (or whatever such places are called) are going to save a lot of time
from kimdaba, they should find their wallet fast, and I'll tell them my
account number ;-)
Seriously, I hope that such people will see the quality in KimDaBa, and start
sponsoring features that are of special interest to them.