[KimDaBa] Searching for Exif

havoc havoc at harrisdev.com
Wed Dec 14 05:22:24 GMT 2005

Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 December 2005 23:58, havoc wrote:
> | Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
> | > Also, what would be good values for the from/to comboboxes for focal
> | > length? Are there any standard steps for this (like we have standard
> | > steps for f numbers)?
> |
> | I'm not sure I understand the question.
> The dialog is containing comboboxes with which you can specify start and end
> of ranges.
> For Shuter speed, these contain values like 1/125, 1/8, 2sec etc

For shutter speeds, you're top-of-the-line 35mm bodies will have up to
1/8000 s shutters at the high end, and "bulb" (arbitrary, user
controlled) at the slow end. I don't know if the camera records the time
when it's in "bulb" or not....

jus' sec...

Okay... in "bulb," my 10D reports exposures 1 sec and longer in nice,
round numbers.... I don't know what it will do with exposures over 30
seconds. If I find out something along the way, I'll let you know.

Future cameras will likely have shutter speeds shorter than 1/8000 s as
the technology creeps forward.

> are there any standard values used for focal length, like would you talk about
> focal length 35, 42, 127 (notice these are just random numbers, like 1.4,
> 1.8, 2.0, etc was to me until a week ago) with a friend, but never say 40,
> 50, 60

Focal length will, effectively, be "random." Your zoom lenses can be any
length between the minimum and maximum. On the point-n-shoots, you're
looking at lengths as low as ~3mm, up to the monster 35mm lenses at
1200mm, and possibly longer....

http://www.RealizationSystems.com/ -- start communicating
http://www.GalacticSlacker.com/ -- read it and weep