[KimDaBa] Anyone converted a PhotoShop Elements 3 database to Kimdaba?

Jean-Michel FAYARD jmfayard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 08:35:59 BST 2005

2005/8/22, Stephen J. Gowdy <gowdy at slac.stanford.edu>:
> I had a look through the various options and couldn't see a way of
> exporting what I wanted (the map from tags to photos, or visa versa). It
> does allow you to export the value of tags in an XML format (but not which
> photos they are associated with). That xml file does seem to include the
> thumbnail used for the tag. The format is like (i've replaced the icon
> ascii stream with ...);
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
> <tagset>
> [...]
> <tagset-item-value-container-flag>0</tagset-item-value-container-flag>
> <tagset-item-value-name><![CDATA[Item on one side]]></tagset-item-value-name>
> <tagset-item-value-icon><![CDATA[...]]></tagset-item-value-icon>
> </tagset-item>
> [...]

Obviously that's not where the tags are stored, this is just a list of
all the different
tags present in your collection. I think Adobe stores in each picture which tags
they have in their own XMP (Extensible Metadata Platform) format.

See here : http://xml.coverpages.org/xmp.html

A Photoshop organizer => Kimdaba converter would be great for people
wanting to switch to Linux.

It seems doable with Image::ExifTool (which can read XMP) and my Image::Kimdaba
See :
http://search.cpan.org/~exiftool/Image-ExifTool-5.46/lib/Image/ExifTool/TagNames.pod#XMP_Tags
and
http://search.cpan.org/~jmfayard/Image-Kimdaba/lib/Image/Kimdaba.pm