[KimDaBa] Write EXIF date info to files?

Fri Aug 5 10:29:21 BST 2005

Am Freitag, 5. August 2005 04:11 schrieb Robert L Krawitz:
>    From: Florian Ehinger <florian at kflog.org>
>    Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:57:52 +0200
>
>    Hi
>
>    >  KimDaBa takes the perfectly reasonable (IMHO) position of not
>    >  touching your files .. ever!
>
>    Well I think this is the most time a very good thing. But I think
>    it would be also nice to write the exif data in the files if you
>    really want it. I'm not only thinking about the time and date
>    information but also about the whole other tags you can give in
>    kimdaba. If it would be possible to write all this information
>    directly in the files it would be much easier to interact with
>    other programs.  Do you think it is easy to integrate such a
>    feature?
>
> As soon as there's even minimal ability to write to image files, the
> risk of causing irreparable damage to the image goes way up.
> Architecting the program to never modify image files under any
> circumstances is an elegant decision; once there's any exception at
> all to that rule, there's a lot more that has to be designed carefully
> to ensure that data can't get lost.

That may be right from an architectural point of view.

I think at least for date/time information whichs formats are standarized and
therefore easy and useful for exchange with other programs a plugin for
syncing the EXIF info to the kimdaba index.xml data would be very appreciated
by many users. AFAIK this must be relative easy to write.

I clearly vote for such a solution, even if it breaks the
don't-write-to-images conept. (and it breaks this only for a plugin).

Florian