[KimDaBa] Next release one week, then what?!

William Holland will at willholland.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 23:34:00 BST 2005

On Thursday 28 April 2005 22:23, Martin Hoeller wrote:
> Hi all!

Hi!

> > > 3) Database
> > > -----------
> >
> > Yes and no.  Separate the backend, but keep it as one app, so a new user
> > (I was put off many apps by db backends) can just compile and go.  That
> > is a real strength.
>
> Fully ACK.
>
> Do you know about SQLite? AFAIKT, it's a library that supports basic SQL
> and stores the data in one file instead of a full-blown DB. This way it
> would be quite easy to switch to a "real DB" like MySQL or Postgres if
> there is need for it.

I seem to rember trying to install it a while back.  the one thing to watch
here is to not HAVE to install too many dependencies.  If it is distributed
with Kimdaba, then that should be OK, but installing too many other
dependencies is always a pain.  (for an imaging app I'm happy to install
imlib, and jhead etc, but the best (ie easiest to install, and therefore get
me in the best mood when testing) apps have no 'visible' dependencies).

> PS: I like the idea of not touching my images, stay with it! (Or at least,
>     warn me two times before doing anything)
Never touch my Images. except through kipi.

Will