[KimDaBa] KimDaBa 2.0 is released.

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Fri Oct 22 07:42:32 BST 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 02:35, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
|    From: jedd <jedd at progsoc.org>
|    Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:53:35 +1000
|
|     Have you done any comparisons on different file systems?  I don't
|     have any ext2/3 fs's big enough to take my collection, everything
|     else is reiser.  On this system (points laptop with 2.2ghz / 512mb
|     / lethargic internal hdd) it takes 13 seconds from <return> to
|     KimDaBa -- and that's with the fairly standard 5,400ish pics
|     spread through 420 directories.
|
| No, I just use reiserfs.
|
|     4 seconds on the second run.
|
| This is consistent with what I'm seeing.  It would be a worthwhile
| experiment to eliminate the scan and see what it would do to startup time.
I tried that last night, and was surprised how much that gave.
My next KimDaBa change will be to disable this scan (with an option to enabled
it), and try to use SAX again to limit the last few seconds of XML loading.
When I tried sax last time I gained like 2 secs of my 11 secs load time, which
I concluded wasn't worth it, but if my load time now are down to 4 secs, then
it is indeed worth it.

Robert, it seems like you helped me avoid going through all the trouble of
implementing a database backend, just to realize that it didn't give me
anything for real. Thanks!