[KimDaBa] KimDaBa 2.0 is released.

jedd jedd at progsoc.org
Thu Oct 21 15:53:35 BST 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:53 pm, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
 ] kimdaba running as a daemon.  What you're looking for in this case is
 ] something more like a transaction processing system, and a light
 ] weight RDBMS may well be a better choice.  But whatever you do, if you
 ] want snappy interactive response you'll need a very different
 ] architecture.

 By then, hopefully, this meta data will be where it belongs - in the
 file system.  Maybe reiserfs6 .. ;)   And KimDaBa can manipulate it
 directly in situ, rather than using an external xml / db source.

 Have you done any comparisons on different file systems?  I don't
 have any ext2/3 fs's big enough to take my collection, everything else
 is reiser.  On this system (points laptop with 2.2ghz / 512mb / lethargic
 internal hdd) it takes 13 seconds from <return> to KimDaBa -- and that's
 with the fairly standard 5,400ish pics spread through 420 directories.

 4 seconds on the second run.

 I guess it's matters of degree, in any case.

 Btw, to echo an earlier sentiment mentioned in passing .. KimDaBa caught
 my attention early on in my search because it was on the few image
 management proggies that *didn't* mention the d-word.

 Jedd.