[KimDaBa] KimDaBa 2.0 is released.

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Tue Oct 19 02:01:56 BST 2004

   From: jedd <jedd at progsoc.org>
   Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:11:16 +1000

   On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 02:57 am, Jean-Michel FAYARD wrote:
    ] Congrats !

    I concur.  Excellent work .. he makes it look as easy as sorting
    through 5,000+ images and filing them into the appropriate
    categories!

I find it particularly valuable with over 5000 images and growing
fairly rapidly (on vacation I typically average about 100 shots per
day, although I had one event this summer where I was the official
photographer when I shot over 600 images in an evening).

    ] ALL people I´ve showed KimDaBa loved the concept (it only gets better now)

    Agreed (also).  But yes, they're normally Win32 addicts and that's
    a bit of an insurmountable problem .. for them.  For me it just
    becomes part of the challenge.  The browse by folder thing will
    help no end, in converting from a folder system (lets you keep the
    folder system in situ too for future images).  The method I used,
    and it works if you've got a manageable bunch of folders, is to
    move them one at a time into the KimDaBa-designated folder, and
    then select all the new pictures and give them whatever properties
    the folder implied .. repeat as necessary.

I primarily use a digital camera -- two of them, in fact: my Canon
Digital Rebel and my wife's Canon A75.  I use a script to import
images from the cameras and convert the raw images to jpeg's for
indexing.  I also mirror the images to a second computer for safety.
Although most of the time I don't actually need it, having the folder
system is very helpful in some cases.

Four things I'd like to see are:

1) Export preserves folder layout.  This would be very helpful for
   exporting a set of images for purpose of mirroring them, or for
   backing them up to DVD's in a form that I could easily use to
   restore them later.  The scenario would be that I would select all
   images not previously backed up (by means of a keyword) and export
   them preserving layout, and dump the exported tree to DVD.  This
   would combine very nicely with the export by (hard) link patch that
   I've submitted.

2) Hierarchical folders, that would emulate the actual file storage.

3) A way to associate raw files with jpeg's (and then be able to
   export both).  This would need a bit more knowledge of cameras.

4) Find all images with changed checksums (rather than merely
   recompute the checksum).  Again, this would help identify images
   requiring backup.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton